Thursday 18 July 2013

Cecil Rhodes Memorial


Finally getting into the swing of things here in Cape town.  This was the first week of school...aka the start of junior year...scary.  My classes are pretty interesting.  I take Xhosa every morning at 9 am and its kind of a nice start to each day.  It makes me feel very cultural.  The various clicks are not that hard to do but when you have to combine them with words I always get tongue tied and can't speak.  Rachel is in my class and we love to click at each other.  I  haven't started Dance yet but I think its going to be awesome....embarrassing but awesome.  South African Political Thought can be a little dry at points but its really interesting.  We've been learning about Cecil Rhodes, a really famous South African politician, which is really cool because a couple of my friends (Perri and Alex) and I went for a small hike last night up to his memorial.  The view was gorgeous.  His memorial is about a fifteen minute walk north of campus, so when you got to the top you could basically look down on the university.  It was also perfect timing because the sun was just setting as we got there.







So far classes aren't too bad.  The walk up to upper campus is fairly strenuous..not gonna lie.  Sometimes I take the Jammie shuttle but I've been walking a lot.  Its literally like we hike up to class so hopefully by the end of the semester I'll be in great shape.

On Sunday we went to this beautiful restaurant on the waterfront called Sevruga.  They have some really amazing restaurants down there.  At Sevruga you can chose between a three or four course meal and they bring you the most delicious food.  The wine there was also incredible...i've been drinking a lot of red here.  The waterfront is probably my favorite place to eat.  I've also been to this restaurant called Quay Four which has unbelievable seafood.  Its like a little taste of Chatham.

Doing my best to keep up with the blog.  I'll try to keep posting pics and continue the updates.


No comments:

Post a Comment