Tuesday 9 July 2013

And so it begins


First time blogger...bear with me

Quick recap. The first week has been awesome here in cape town.  Despite numerous traveling struggles and a really long plane ride we have finally settled in.  The first couple of days were filled with orientation events and touring around cape town.  It felt a lot like the first week of freshmen year...lots of get to know you games, info sessions, group activities.  Everything was fairly structured....nothing really worth sharing.  We stayed in some dorms on campus, and I roomed with another girl Robin.  Contrary to previous roommate issues...we got along really well.  She's one of my better friends here.  One of the best parts about orientation was a dinner at Moyo in Stellenbosch.  We drank a ton of wine, ate African food and danced to African music.  It was pretty cool. 

On Saturday we moved into our house/apartment.  In our apartment there are several flats basically right next to each other.  They have two or three bedrooms, a kitchen, bathroom, and living space.  All together there are 13 people but in my flat I live with two other people...one guy and one girl.  We have  pretty decent space.  I'm into it.




On Sunday we took an all day peninsular tour along the coast of cape town.  It was kind of rainy but it really was exceptionally gorgeous.  I think Midd is one the pretty places on earth but this probably takes the cake.  I'll post some pictures later.  We stopped in places like Camps Bay, Scarborough, Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point....unbelievable.  The views are incredible.  


Its nice to be finally settled in.  Everything here is pretty inexpensive compared to America.  But it almost makes it harder to save money.  I haven't quite figured out the food situation yet.  We eat out a lot.  Probably need to be slightly more frugal.

The night life is so much fun.  Its a lot different than Middlebury.  We've been out nearly every night.  There are a ton of bars and clubs that are fun.  We go to lots of places on Long Street.  I've been to a Reggae bar and last night we went to an Irish pub.  On the 4th a lot of us went to this club Tiger Tiger. Although it would have been great to be in the states and going to the parade, this lived up to a classic American 4th of July.  


So far so good.  I'm blanking on some of the other things we've done but I will try to keep posting so you guys can hear about my travels.  





No comments:

Post a Comment