Thursday 15 August 2013

Weekend in Stellenbosch



This past weekend, a few of my friends and I went to Stellenbosch for a few days.  We stayed at this pretty cute little B&B in town called Rivierbos.  We got to town Thursday night and had a nice dinner at a really cool outdoors restaurant that had amazing pizza and wine.

On Friday we spent the day doing a wine tour.  We ended up visiting 5 different vineyards, tasting about 6 or 7 different wines at each one. The first place we stopped at was one of my favorite places.  They told us the story of the Bridal cup, and Robin and I volunteered to drink out of the cup together (see picture and link).   One of the places we stopped at is actually known for being the oldest vineyard in South Africa.  Another was was the first vineyard in Africa to be owned by a female....this was fitting because Friday was actually National Women's Day (A national holiday here). The wine tasting was awesome.  I learned about what kind of wines I do like and ones I don't.  I am definitely a red girl (one of few among my friends).  My favorite wine of the day was a Pinotage that we tasted at lunch time (I forget what exactly it was called).  I learned that the pinotage is actually indigenous to South Africa and is only bred here. I'll have to smuggle a few bottles home to Boston.  

Robin and I drinking out of the Bridal Cup


Our tour guide was this really sweet older woman named Eileen.  She was awesome.  She knew so much but didn't try to overdo it in talking too much about each wine.  She says that you should never worry about being judged for the type of wine you chose to drink "You like what you like."  She was a very pleasant woman and the perfect guide to spend the day with.  Needless to say, by the end of the day a bunch of my friends were singing "Come on Eileen."  Aside from the 6 of us, we were also joined by a cute young couple. They were so nice and definitely embraced the idea of having to spend the day with 6 twenty year old gals.  They were really fun and made the day even more entertaining.  


Rissa, Rach, Perri, Rob, Jordan and our lovely tour guide Eileen


The wine tour was incredible.  It was a ton of fun and actually so informative.  Now I can go back to the Goose and have a better clue of what i am talking about when I recommend wine.  Stellenbosch is a beautiful place and I can't wait to go back.




That night we ended up going to a bunch of different bars in Stellenbosch.  The atmosphere there was definitely a little different than Cape Town, but it was fun to try something new.  

Sorry my post is short.  It's been a busy week with school work, but this weekend should bring more.




No comments:

Post a Comment