Sunday 4 August 2013

Gardens, Sunsets, and a little Boogie


This week was what dad would refer to as wicked pissah.

Classes were pretty uneventful.  Nothing big with the exception of my first Xhosa Test.  I am lovin Xhosa.  Even though my clicks are a little rough around the edges, its so fun to be able to talk to the locals.  I practice all the time with some of the waiters and waitresses at cocoa wah wah (awesome cafe next door), our two security guards Abu and Z, and our flatkeeper Grace.  All of them consistently giggle at me when I try to speak but I still keep doing it. 

On Monday night Robin, Rachel and I went went to Fight Night at the gym.  Its kind of like a kickboxing class.  Obviously Rachel was crushing it.  Unfortunately I don't think the instructor was too impressed by my high kick form as all his attempts to adjust my footwork failed. You would have thought all the basketball over the years would have improved my technique.  But it was really fun and I am going to try to continue doing the classes twice a week.  

I was fairly sore after the workout, but surprisingly not nearly as sore as I have been after my African dance classes.  We've already started our routine and we have to perform in front of all the students at the end of the semester.  I'm a little nervous since it's hard for me to continuously remember all the moves.  I kind of have enough trouble on the dance floor as is. 

On Thursday night, a bunch of us went to this bar called Boogie.  It was by far one of my favorite nights out here in cape town.  They play mostly 80s music and it was so much fun.  It was like a flashback to middle school dance parties.  

On Friday night my friends and I spent the night down by the V&A waterfront.  We started of the evening taking a sunset champagne cruise.  It reminded me of the CBI boat rides we take each year for Dad's birthday (which is coming up soon and I will be sure to celebrate in your honor here in South Africa).  A sailboat took us out into the open water and the views from there were beautiful.  You could see both Table Mountain and Lion's Head.  My favorite views thus far have been of the city of Cape Town at night.  Everything is lit up and its unbelievable.

(The Waterfront)


 (A View of Lion's Head)


Saturday was a pretty chay day.  My friends and I got up and went to Old Biscuit Mill, as we do basically every Saturday morning.  This place is legit awesome.  Its like no farmer's market I've ever been to.  There are just booths upon booths of the most amazing food and drinks from all the local places in Cape Town.  

After spending a few hours there and indulging in hot dogs and hard cider, we all went to the Kirstinbosch Botanical Gardens.  Mum you would be in heaven.  The gardens are gorgeous and it was one of the most tranquil places I've been.  It was nice to kind of get away and spend the afternoon in such a beautiful place.  We brought snacks and books and kind of just lounged out in the gardens for a while.  We walked around before we left and the flowers, the animals, and the views were so cool.  The Botanical Gardens are basically at the foot of the mountain so while you stroll around you can look up and see all the trees and gorgeous views. INCREDIBLE





This coming week is looking to be a lot more academic than adventurous so blogging might be limited.  But we do have a long weekend coming up so more updates soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment